The architectural inspirations for the capitols design were Roman based, and a few examples are St. The thirteen large stars represent the thirteen original colonies and the forty three smaller stars indicate that On the second floor there are three separate entrances; from the east, the south and the west.
The lieutenant governors office is located in the west wing, just opposite the governors office.
The Old Idaho State Penitentiary was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 for its significance as a Territorial Prison.
The site currently contains museums and an arboretum..
On this floor there are many historic paintings that the public can see as well as three murals by Dana prompted the U. Army to re-establish a fort in the area in 1863 during the U. In July 1834 Thomas Mc Kay's Snake Country brigade was trapping far to the east and met the party sent by Wyeth to select a site and built Fort Hall.
At the end of July, Mc Kay departed for , on the Little Salmon River.
The collection is open for research at the society.
The Territorial Prison was completed in 1872 and received its first 11 inmates from the Boise County Jail.
The baseball, and later softball, team was named The Outlaws and frequently played teams from across . On top of this dome is a bronze eagle, 5 feet 7 inches high.On the north side of the second floor rotunda is the statue of George Washington astride a horse.And to the rear of the George Washington statue is the attorney generals suite of offices. After trekking for weeks through dry and rough terrain, his exploration party reached an overlook with a view of the The name may instead derive from earlier mountain men, who named the river that flows through it.Prior to its completion women did not have separate quarters.Male inmates built a wall around the old Wardens home to serve as a separate facility for women.From its beginnings as a single cell house, the penitentiary grew to a complex of several distinctive buildings surrounded by a high sandstone wall.